Who We Are

Monday, September 24, 2012

Sunflower Safari II

Ha roo, pups and cool cats!  It's me, Zim.  Yesterday was another one of those postcard-perfect days here in Kansas, so Mom and I went out on another Sunflower Safari!  One of the plants we saw last week and thought might be a Compass Plant might or might not be, so we went back up to hunt for it again and to try to take pix of the back -- something called the bract.  Something about having more information to go on. Who knows!?!  I just saw Mom reach for her camera and keys and knew we were off to have some fun!

When we got up by where they were, I was the one to find the wildflower in question:

DSCN4384 Zim helping
"They're right here, Mom!"

Who's the mighty (wildflower) hunter?!?  That's right - me!  Ha roo!

Here's a shot of the bract:

DSCN4383 back of flower

Mom also needed to shoot the leaves - I jumped in there so she'd have a lighter background and ... err ... more contrast.  You know, so you can see the leaves better.

DSCN4393 Zim, helping

Seriously.  You can see the leaves much better with me in there.

When I cleared out, this guy moved in:

DSCN4387 Bee, flower

Or maybe he was in there all along and that's why Mom suggested I get my snooter out of there.

DSCN4382 Bee, flower

I have to say, he was a pretty cool guy.  (You could even say he was "the bees knees" ... but I probably shouldn't be so pun-ny on a Monday, should I?)

After admiring him for a while, something across the way caught my eye!

DSCN4401 Zim spots something
"Mom!  Check this out!"

At first, Mom thought I was just admiring some thistle flowers, but then she zoomed in and saw what I did!  Check it out!

DSCN4394 Butterfly on Thistle

DSCN4400 Butterfly on Thistle
For the record, I had nothing to do with that notch in the butterfly's wing

DSCN4399 Butterfly on Thistle

DSCN4403 Butterfly on Thistle

I could have watched that butterfly all afternoon!  It was so beautiful!

DSCN4406 Zim, Butterfly, Thistle

Eventually, it finished doing its pollen dance and left.

DSCN4410 Thistle

Mom said we should probably get back, too.

I hope you enjoyed our most recent hunting trip!

Play bows,
Zim

19 comments:

  1. You have the most beautiful hunting trips. That butterfly was stunning, even with a part of it's wing missing. It reminded my MOM of something one of her kids said one time that has stuck with her ever since (for the record my MOM does not have her own children, just has had 100's of them over the years of working with youth at church). Any way this wise beautiful girl said, "Butterfly's are courageous". I like that. Have a beautiful day.
    Blessings,
    Goose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great hunting trip Zim. We loved the beautiful butterfly. Have a lovely Monday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have the most awesome adventures Zim!!! Those were great finds - though we suggest you avoid the bee - mom says they sting (ouchie).

    ReplyDelete
  4. So beautiful. Your mom should teach a class on how to photograph while holding a leash.

    Nora

    ReplyDelete
  5. So what was the yellow flower? THe leaves almost look like dandelion leaves.

    Glad the bee was friendly!!!

    You have such a beautiful place to take nature walks.

    Drools and licks,
    Minnie, Mack and foster Mario

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good work as always, Zim. Thanks for sharing your flowers and butterfly with us.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those photos are beautiful Zim! Our mommy can't figure out how your mom gets such great photos while being leashed to you but you must not move as much as our sisfur Sadie did. She was always on the move!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my, Zim! You're not just handsome, you're a fierce safari hunter too. Be still my heart!

    - Cinderella

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, what beautiful photo's you have taken. It looks like you have wonderful weather there. It's really cold, wet and windy here in the UK......again :)xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. My mom was moaning and groaning about her little camera after she saw how great your moms pictures are...i think there great cos your in them!
    stella rose

    ReplyDelete
  11. These shots are just absolutely amazing! I just don't know how your mom does it. I am still playing with my new phone and the apps she suggested.

    Most importantly, as promised, we got you something special. You got THE award. Go pick it up from our blog. Make us happy, write us a story or two :)

    Love, Sankissjuice

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great trip Zimmie!

    Huffs

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMD the pics of the Butterfly on the Thistle Blossoms is just LOVELY.

    ReplyDelete
  14. your sunflower safari posts leave us with a certain Beach Boys song going through our heads, only with slightly different lyrics :D

    you know, Zim, there are pups trained to sniff out and find certain plants - that could be you! we love sunflowers! thanks for taking us on safari with you! and the bugs, what cat could ask for more?!? the thistle sure is pretty considering its a weed ;/

    Pip, Smidgen, Minnie, HOllie

    ReplyDelete
  15. It was a super Sunflower Safari...II!
    I loved it!
    Happy Monday!
    Kisses and hugs
    Lorenza

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pretty butterfly!
    Thanks for cheering up our Monday!!!

    Cheers,
    Maxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. we love those sunflower daisies. Those were good finds
    Benny & Lily

    ReplyDelete
  18. What beautiful flowers! You sure did have a fun adventure, Zim!

    Love ya lots,
    Mitch and Molly

    ReplyDelete